Pics appear to dispute ‘road rage’ cop’s self-defense claim

October 28, 2017
Jennifer Bain and Natalie Musumeci
New York Post

Brooklyn jurors on Friday were shown hospital photos taken of an off-duty cop just after he fatally gunned down an unarmed driver in a road-rage incident — and the images appear to contradict his claim of self-defense.

The portrait-style and full-body photos of Officer Wayne Isaacs wearing a stripped white golf shirt were taken by now-retired NYPD crime-scene Detective Vincent Falsitta at Jamaica Hospital at 1:30 a.m. — about an hour and a half after the East New York shooting on July 4, 2016.

“We asked him if he had any injuries, and he said he did. We asked him to show us,” Falsitta said in Brooklyn Supreme Court.

When the prosecutor asked if the former cop saw any injuries, Falsitta responded: “Obviously, I’m not a doctor, but from what I’m looking at . . . I did not see anything.”

Isaacs has claimed that he was violently pummeled in the face before pumping three bullets into Delrawn Small, 37, at a traffic light at the intersection of Atlantic Avenue and Bradford Street.

Falsitta said he snapped photos of Isaac’s face, body and “his waistband showing where his holster was located . . . on his right hip.”

Surveillance footage previously obtained by The Post showed the moment Isaacs fired through his car window at Small, who died in the street as his girlfriend and her two young children sat watching in their vehicle.

Earlier this week, jurors heard the officer’s 911 call after the altercation — where he neglected to mention that he had shot someone.

Instead, Isaacs can be heard on the phone call telling the dispatcher he had been attacked.

“Call an ambulance,” Isaacs can be heard saying after identifying himself as a member of the NYPD.

He was then transferred to EMS by the dispatcher, where he reiterates that he was assaulted.

“No, no, I’m a police officer, I was attacked,” he said.

When prosecutors asked Thursday how many times Isaacs mentioned on the 911 call that he discharged his firearm, Detective Paul Perodin responded, “He didn’t.”

Isaacs, who has since been put on modified duty, was on his way home after a shift in the 79th Precinct in Bedford-Stuyvesant when he used his service weapon to shoot Small.

Isaacs faces up to 25 years behind bars if convicted on charges of second-degree murder.

His trial resumes Monday.

Topics: Delrawn Small